Sunday, June 24, 2007

Other Projects Going on at the House...

If the "Week from Hell" wasn't enough, we've got other side projects going on at the house.

First, we have decided to try to make our own home-made, yes, from scratch, soda. Our first batch was root beer. Our first and only problem seems to be the fact that I had light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar. Note: The next batch will have dark brown sugar as we have now acquired it. The soda took about 2 weeks to make and the batch made 7 16-ounce bottles. The taste was AWESOME. The only drawback, don't sniff in the bottle. Because the soda is made with champagne yeast, it retains the yeast-y smell. Kinda strong. But, if you pour out the soda into a glass and drink it, it reminded me of a root beer barrel piece of hard candy. So, we want Cassi to help us with the next batch of cooking and getting the liquid together. I think she'll enjoy cooking with us.

Then, we've got a batch of wine fermenting in the basement. The wine will turn out like the Amber Mist wine, which is fine with me. We're making a batch of Exotic Fruit White Zinfandel. Once it's done, Dan and Rob plan on making another batch. It's fun to watch the juice, yeast, and stuff go from individual packages of stuff into good tasting wine. We did this once when we first got married. We made about 25 bottles of wine then. Our last bottle was drank about 2 years ago. Now that we've got a basement, we can use it to make and store the wine. But, this time, I'll be making the labels for our bottles. And, if everything goes well with the final stage, the wine will be ready just before my mom's birthday that is on July 9. I think I will give her a bottle for her birthday. No, Marie, I don't know WHAT to get her for her birthday. I did just give her a pair of jeans I can't wear right now. She's down at least 1 size in clothes.

Then, I'm pushing my business. For those of you who don't know, I've been trying off and on for the past few years to get a business started. Yes, I tried the direct-selling business, but I just didn't like pushing those products. I sold Tupperware. Yes, the products sell themselves, but when you don't know many people it's tough. Right now, Rob and I run a Watkins business. You can look at the products at: www.watkinsonline.com. If you order online, they will set you up with a customer number. Just remember to tell them I sent you with my associate #342297 that way I will get credit.

They were the first direct-selling business, still in business since 1868. Before coming home one day from work and Rob telling me, "I hope we've got enough money in the account because I just started us in Watkins," I've never heard of it. I'm so glad I know now. In July, we'll be in our 4th year. The products are WONDERFUL. They carry over 350 products, dealing with seasonings, cleaning products, personal care products, and heritage medicinals. During the 1928 World's Fair, Watkins took GOLD MEDAL awards for their Vanilla, Pepper, and Cinnamon. If you looked in my kitchen cabinets, that's about all you'll find for the seasonings. I ABSOLUTELY adore the puddings. Since I started using them, and they are stovetop cook puddings, I refuse to use instant. Also, as a bonus, the pudding mixes double as pie fillings because they are so thick. The soup bases have less sodium than the stuff at the store, etc. Just shoot me an email if you want a catalog. I'll send you one and some samples of the lotions and seasonings I've got.

But, for as long as I can remember, I've been working on a computer. Even now, I've been on this computer off and of all day, doing stuff for my business. There is a flea market about a 10 minute drive west of me, called Jamie's Flea Market. They are open on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I have a spot in one of their indoor buildings. This is a good thing because I am starting my Creative Services business. I have been doing lots over the past few years with regard to graphic design and desktop publishing. I have been putting together things like custom-designed tea bag envelopes. They are designed with the computer. I print them and cut them out. Then, I fold and glue the envelope together, putting the tea bag in before I seal it. I can design them for just about any occasion and can custom-design the standard ones I've already created. And, I can take your photo and REALLY customize it. I've got other stuff I'm going to sell dealing with kids' chore charts, reading list cards, etc. I've got many products. My cost to be there the 2 days? Just $28 a week, which includes a 50 cents a day electric charge. They've got outside spots I could be at, but the bonus here is that: 1. I can leave my stuff for the next day without having to setup and tear down every time, 2. I can bring my laptop and printer and work onsite where my prospective customers can see what I'm doing. I've been binding my sample templates to show my tea bag envelopes by their categories (halloween, birthday, american pride, etc.). I've also got a Web site that will have my custom-designed stuff on it to sell. The site is: www.cathysbargains.com. You can go there, but right now, you can't get off the main page. There appears to be technical issues going on right now. With ALL THE OTHER STUFF, we've been doing, we haven't been able to fix. However, once it's fixed, I'll post again.

So, my summer will not be dull one moment. I go back to school in August and have 3 classes, and will be at school Monday afternoon through Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, plus continue to run my business.

And, this Thursday, I have a meeting with someone about a Technical Writer position. Professor Mary, bless her heart, referred me to someone at the school who owns a business a couple of streets over from school in downtown Cleveland. I'm interested to talk with him more about the business, etc.

Plus, I've got all the paperwork to get ready for PTO this summer. Really, to be honest, the people who were in charge before didn't know what they were doing because, again, this is like running a business. The principal agreed. I am running a non-profit organization.

Boy, and did I think I would EVER be doing stuff like this 10 years ago? NOPE!

Ok. Gotta go. I've got to get up early in the am. Cassi and I are going to Jamie's. Monday's and Thursday's in the am are devoted to the inside sellers to allow them to setup, etc. I'm bringing some of my stuff, along with chairs and tables and a Watkins sign to hang up. In the afternoon, I'll be taking her to the pool as a treat. It's supposed to get really HOT!

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yea, you won't be bored this summer! Good luck with your meeting on Thursday!!