Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Birthday...

Yep, this past Thursday, it was my birthday. Rob, Cassi, and I spent the day together. I woke up the day nicely. Got online early and saw a birthday email card from Marie. I LAUGHED so hard. Then, my girlfriend, Patty, sent me an email of happy birthday.

We spent the day together. Rob worked the night before and Cassi spent the night over Sarah's house. So, I was pretty much by myself until 2:30 pm. Cassi and Sarah kept running in and out of the house. I had to keep shewing them out.

So, what did I do while I was by myself? I applied for jobs. I applied for Bank Teller positions at National City Bank and Charter One. Some of the other banks don't have openings. I need to apply at US Bank (where our main mortgage resides). Who knows? I agree with my career coordinator. I need to just GET IN to a company and move from there. She called me and said again that she thinks I need to dumb myself down for prospective employers, that they are intimidated by me and my skills. I'm sorry; I just find it so hard to do that. Maybe the idea of "Less is More" is better.

One of our camping friends specifically said to me that even though she knows I have higher education than she does, I don't make her feel inferior with my education. She says I use my education when I speak, but not overbearing. It's nice to hear comments like that.

But, after Rob got up, we goofed off a little before we decided to go to dinner. When the school had the spring picnic, PTO offered up $100 worth of restaurant gift cards. I won one of them. I was able to get a $25 gift card from Olive Garden. Then, because we bank with National City Bank, they have an opportunity to earn points for gift cards. I was able to get 2 $10 gift cards for Olive Garden. We used them for dinner Thursday night. Cassi loves Olive Garden.

We got there. As usual, almost immediately, she had to potty (does that everywhere we go). So, while we were gone, unknown to me, Rob decides with the server to order a special cake. In the end, we ended up paying $15 extra with the tip. It was nice though.

Then, we went to Best Buy to walk around and look at stuff. Didn't realize that my favorite PS games come as PC versions too. That game? Star Wars Legos. The most hilarious game. Will have to try to find it on PC somewhere and save up to get it.

We noticed some sale priced Game Boy Advanced and Nintendo DS games. I was considering getting a $15 game for Cassi from my birthday money. Since we really haven't had money to get games and things for her, I thought it would be nice. There really isn't anything I'm in need of right now. I told her to put the game down for the time being, and I would think about it. She threw a fit and said she NEVER gets anything at the store. OK. That was enough for me. I wasn't listening to that from her. She gets SOOOOO much from Pa, Nana, and Aunt Marie. We have been giving her the necessities. Sorry that I can't buy EVERY item she wants! So, I told her if she felt that way she wasn't getting that game either. It was a Polly Pocket game.

After we went to Best Buy, we went to Sam's and got a floor protector for the carpet in our bedroom office. We went to Home Depot because we needed to buy a new shower head for the bathroom. The old one was ready to die. Home Depot was very disappointing as we couldn't find JUST the shower head. We ended up at Lowe's and found a cool one that actually has 2 heads. It has a hand-held shower head and stationery one. The hand-held one will work well when I'm ready to bathe the cat and can be used when I shower Cassi (versus her doing it herself).

Got home and got the shower head in. Rob and I also watched the Denzel Washington movie, The Great Debaters. It was a really good movie. And, be shocked! Even though it is a relatively new movie to DVD, I found it...


at...


THE LIBRARY! Yep, sure did! I've also got The Waterhorse to watch too.

OK. Gonna go for now. I'm working on designing a new template for this blog. REALLY need something new. Maybe change will be good for me.

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I'm glad that you had a good day! And you don't have to dumb down on job interviews, you just need to remember that less is more! And have you done your testing at the temp agencies?

Cathy said...

I am registered with Office Team and Ajilon Office. The problem right now is that companies will submit their temp needs to multiple agencies and interview just like you're trying to get a permanent job. But, it's TEMPORARY. In the past, companies would use a specific temp agency for their staffing needs. I called Office Team in Cleveland on Wednesday because they posted a need for a temp admin assistant. The company would interview candidates next week. The pay? 14-18 per hour. Not bad. I called. They won't submit me because they already submitted one candidate!

For both agencies, they have nothing otherwise. Kelly Services doesn't either.