Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Craft Show Experience...

OK. So today went pretty well. I flew out to the place last night to drop off my stuff at the spot. Come to find out at 6:30 that the placed closed to drop off and setup at 6.

Ack!

But, luckily, one of the coordinators was still there. She let me drop stuff off, because I wasn't setting up til this morning.

And, it was a good thing I didn't setup.

Come to find out at 6:30 this morning....

I was in the WRONG spot. Okay. Gotta rush, get dressed, get din din started for tonight, get the last small things in the car and go.

Now, where's that letter I just found with my CORRECT space number? Go to the car, not there. Go back in the house, TWICE. Can't find it. Turn lights on. OK. Found it. Right where I was to begin with. At the kitchen sink.

Fly to show! Grab stuff and move to correct space.

BIATCH! Sucky spot...

As I thought. But, I was right near the bakery. The show was pretty busy all day, till about 3.

So, how did I do? Not too bad. Tuesday this week, I quickly put togther coloring books that could be bought by people with kids, or those people who know kids. They ended up, in conversation, that they were the perfect size for traveling. They are 5.5" by 8.5" sized books and bound.

I made 12 at the last minute to see how they would do.

THEY SOLD OUT!

So, I know what to make extra of for the next show.

The tea bag envelopes sold. I call them my "different" gifts. Luch box notes sold, book marks, and magnets also sold.

The lady next to me, come to find out, has started making sterling silver wire jewelry and uses gem stones and things of that sort. I happened to have a ruler in my purse from my grandpa's shop. He makes and repairs jewelry and also has silver wire and stuff, like she uses. I referred her to him for supplies.

She had a little girl there, age 5. She was SO good over the course of the day. I just know Cassi would have been bored out of her mind. I gave her one of my chore charts. I got some stickers. I put the stickers on my name tag.

A few people asked about designing tea bag envelopes and business cards. A few people I knew came by. One teacher from Cassi's school came by and said I should box up some of the stuff and leave it in the teacher's lounge for them to buy. I think I will.

I came out pretty well. I know I would have done better in another part of the school. The show is HUGE! About 200 vendors. But, a lot of the spaces were empty. I could have gone into another space easily and have more room.

I made back what I paid for the spot and some more. But, today was sweetest day. I did spend some money. Bought: baguette bread for din din, a pumpkin pie, a sandwich for lunch, chocolate covered strawberries, and a baby blanket (so mom doesn't have to make one for me for a gift).

Not a bad day. I know what few things I do have to make for my next show in 2 weeks, Christmas tea bag envelopes, business cards, and coloring books.

I did pick a sampling of all my goodies to send as a gift to a friend. I hope she'll like them when she gets them.

Ok. That's it for now. I've got a headache, am doing dishes and laundry tonight.

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ )

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is soooo awesome!! I'm glad you did well!! I hope that the table looked good and that the apron you made turned out well also!! Keep up the good work and good luck at the next craft show!!

Cupcake Blonde said...

It sounds like a great experience and a really good learning curve as to what to do next time. Do you have an online store yet? I would like to check out some of your merchandise and purchase some myself.

Cathy said...

I've got a store. It's cathysbargains.com. However, I'm still in the upload process of the goodies I make. It will be a while as I have a lot of a lot of different things.

Lynda said...

I am glad your crafts are doing so well. What's the story with the baby blanket though? So your mom doesn't have to make one for you?

Sounds like school and life going well also. Except all that homework. ;)

Cathy said...

Cassi's special ed teacher is having a baby in January. At first, I asked mom to make her one because I was too impatient to learn and just don't have the time to make one. But, after talking to Marie, she told me how bad mom's arthritis is now. So, I've told mom not to make the blankie. At the show, I was able to pick up a GORGEOUS blankie for $20. And, it also folds into itself to make a pillow.

Miki said...

Cathy, sounds like a great day to me. I too am doing a craft show, only 20 vendors at a breakfast with santa thing at the very beginning of Dec. I am selling cash and carry from my partylite business, and some small craft items that I do for fun! I will also be putting togethre "baskets" small ones for folks to pick up for gifts! Wish me luck!