Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Looking...Again...

I'm on the lookout again and applying for jobs. I've only been working an extra hour last week and this week. I now support 5 people. In the last 2 weeks, I was given 2 more people to being secretary to and not given an option of going full-time.

But, on the bright side, because I DON'T get paid for holidays and sick leave, I can make up that time by working extra hours.

So, that's what I've been doing.

And, because I have the extra management to support and extra projects to handle, there's no reason why continuing working these extra hours can't continue....

Until I chat with my boss about the amount of work I am doing and that, after we have our meeting to discuss what projects I am working on, that it is possible that continuing to work longer hours is necessary.

And, then I got the push back. Some resistance against it. But, my meeting isn't until Thursday afternoon. I am tracking EVERY day this week the laundry list of things I am doing that are filling my time. Can you believe I was so busy Monday morning that I didn't GO until lunch time and then after lunch only went once?

So, I've been applying for professional jobs again. The first one is with the job I was with in the past. I emailed my former supervisor who still works there. After a few emails, she tells me to expect a call from "name here," the recruiter who is hiring for the job. She talked to the recruiter about my being a good fit for the job. Ooh. Could work there.

Or, I met with someone about a Technical Writing job with a local company. The company is located in Akron, but the option of telecommuting is there. The company just doesn't have the space. Of course, I would have to go into the office, say, once a week. But that's good. The commute is an hour one way. But, for one day a week and the potential salary, I am being considered.

OK. I talked with dad about all this. I wanted to let him know what was going on. He always says we don't tell him. So I did. And he didn't like it. Because I don't have a baby sitter in the morning. And, where is she going in the afternoon? I told her the afternoons were covered. But, if I was working in Cleveland, I wouldn't get home until 6 pm. He couldn't always take off for her. No, I never asked him to. She is at a babysitter in the afternoons. And, she can stay there until 6 pm. She has other kids she keeps just as long. As for the mornings, at this point, I have not asked one of the 2 other moms I know that run day care businesses in the area. I can ask them as, if I had to work in Cleveland, I would probably have to leave at 7 am, dropping her off to the sitter then. Then, what if Rob gets a day job. For those of you who don't know, he works nights as a nurse, but is trying to transfer, within the same company, to another facility that's during the day. This would allow him to be at home in the evenings with us. He is now missing it, and Cassi asks about him some nights when she wants to see him.

So, we'll see. And, it can't hurt to try. My goal at going back to school was to go back to being a professional-level employee again. One of these jobs would definitely do it for me.

Send all prayers this way. I NEED it.

Lots of love,
Cathy

P.S. My sister, Marie, sent me an awesome book, The Host (same author as the Twilight books). I've just really gotten into this weekend. No, I'm not like VP, who can't put the book down until I'm done. There's WAAAAAY too many other things that need done. But, I am working on it. Definitely good before bed reading and "me time" that I was wanting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well if you could be like me and VP you wouldn't put it down, trust us! And as for dad, it's good you talked to him. Because as you said you didn't ask him for help, but you forgot to type one word YET! Remember a few weeks ago dad had to take off time from work to take care of Cassi because you were working and Rob was working 6 days straight. You always say you won't ask, but then you do anyways. You need to talk to all those other baby sitting options and have MULTIPLE options lined up before you go working somwhere else. And trust me I understand not having bathroom breaks when you work! That happens to me A LOT!