Tuesday, September 09, 2008

9/4/08 More Hours; More Responsibility

Well, I had original thoughts about this on the date above, but more since then. On this date, my boss asked me to come to her office. I'm thinking, "Uh! Oh! It's time to see the principal. What did I do wrong?"

It appears that I have done nothing wrong. She's very happy with the work I am doing. In fact, there's still many things she would like me to do for her that she's still learning that she's got someone to help her get the work done. So, my job is good.

She asks me if there is an issue with taking on responsibilities with being the assistant to another director. Sure, that's not a problem. I told her, the more work I do, the more of a value I give to the company and the more opportunity there is for extra hours and possibly taking the position to full-time status. She agrees 100%. But, at this point, I am assisting 2 directors (Sarah and the new guy) and 2 product managers (Brian and Josh). Both Brian and Josh, who are both very self-sufficient, are also giving me more projects.

So, I get a chance to speak with Sarah's boss. I explain to him my concerns. He agrees that he sees much in me that is giving value-add to my position. He said that the person before me who had the job wanted this position to be full-time, but he said he didn't see her utilized very well. Not sure the situation, but I told him that I am always looking for new projects to work on. That my job is not to just sit there but to learn the new stuff and what else can I do; who can I help. He's very appreciative of that. He sees the possibility of having the job go full-time. My big "spiel" about needing full-time isn't necessarily for med/dental benefits. It's for the capability to get paid for holidays/sick/vacation.

As of today, over the last 2 weeks, I had 2 days out, one day for the Labor Day holiday and one day for being sick. Yep, I got the flu already! But, Sarah, the awesome lady that she is, is allowing me to work the next 2 weeks to make up the 12 hours I missed. I'll be working every day until 4pm and a few days will be half hour lunches. Cassi's going to the babysitter. The lady that lives near the school whose son is in Cassi's grade will take her after school. She watches a number of kids and charges $2 per hour. PERFECT!

So, Sarah wants me to keep her informed if my projects become too crazy and more hours are needed. As the new guys ramps up, I see this as something that I will need to do. Plus, the senior manager that I thought I was doing just a monthly sales report for, I am also going to support. So, instead of just 3 people, I now have 5. To me, that means that I should be offered the full-time.

My daily projects are going to increase exponentially.

OK. That's it for now.

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. (9/14/08) Promise I will write about the other things too that are located in my blog as drafts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's great that you might have the chance to go full time! And if you could go full time with that company being so close that would be GREAT! Keep up the good work!