Thursday, December 13, 2007

Gotta Vent... (and other things)

OK. This semester was REALLY good for me. Today, when we finished class, I got to chat with Professor Mary before leaving. We didn't have a final. She gave us 3 exams over the semester. And, to top it off, so we could spend more time in discussion of the topics for the class, she allowed us TAKE HOME exams. This last test, I completed on Tuesday. With my schedule, Tuesday morning was the best. And, that was good because it took me almost 4 hours to complete. It was a 5-question essay test.

But, as you may recall earlier, we also had a research paper and a book review. Well, for the book review, I got an A (shh! I didn't finish reading the book, but would love to take it out from my library and read it again!).

For the research paper, of course, being a RESEARCH paper, you are SUPPOSED to research information for your paper. Mary said this evening that 4 of my classmates didn't even research AT ALL! And, one person failed the research paper with a 48%.

Now, COME ON! This class was filled with upper level undergrads and grads. AND, the class was Composition Theory for English Teachers. How are these guys going to function in the real world, wanting to be ENGLISH Teachers, if they don't do the work themselves. Well, I did. Even though I might not have had enough information to begin with, I still got an A for my paper.

AND, I didn't take the class because I want to go be an English Teacher. Originally, it fit my schedule; Mary was teaching and wanted her for a professor again, and 3. if I decide to go back for my Secondary English Teaching Certificate, this class qualifies.

Oh, wait! I keep forgetting. This is a phrase that keeps bopping around when I talk with the secretary at Cassi's school. I'm RESPONSIBLE!

As I've told Mrs. Carey (at Cassi's school). Because I worked in an Audit firm, I learned how to be responsible and do what was necessary. (Although I was once told that I grew up too fast when I was 26 and that I lost my innocence! Well, that's what happens when you get a job and become a responsible adult!)

But, here's a good laugh for you! Yesterday, I actually had a Grammar final. Yep, an in-class, SUPPOSED TO BE, 2 hour final. I got there early. Last week, Professor Chris gave us an extra credit sheet. We had to diagram 12 sentences and had to be done 100% correct for each sentence or no credit. I could get up to 4 extra points ON MY FINAL GRADE! So, as I said, I arrived for the final early. The girl who sits next to me (damn! never got her name, but was always so nice) asked if I could look at her work. Well, damn! I forgot the subordinating clause in diagram 1. Great start for me! But, sentence #7 most people won't get. I got it right cause I checked when he came in because I opened the book and looked where the word AS would go in a diagram. He told us "OPEN BOOK" which meant, if you didn't know it, the entire book was there for us to use. That was the only sentence I had to use the book for and got the entire sheet done in 30 mins. But, I digress. He got there, and we were chatting about the exam. He said the exam was thicker than usual, but shouldn't take much longer than a regular exam. Again, we were able to use our notes. Everything but the book.

I opened my mouth and said, "So, Chris. This exam is worth 20% of our grade, right?"
Chris, "Yes."
Me, "So, if I was to walk out of the exam RIGHT NOW, I would still get a B, right?"
Chris, "Yep."

See, he knew me WELL as I'm the GEEK who sits in the front row and ALWAYS knows all the answers. Let me just say there were DISGRUNTLED classmates. They shouted they wanted to choke me. But, I think most of my classmates knew I was getting an A anyway. But, all I could do was laugh.

All in all, that exam went GREAT! I had to look up 1 thing. It was a definition and example. The last thing on the test, but I wanted to get the wording right for the exam.

And, I took 10 minutes longer than a regular test.

With that, I've got to go for the evening. I need to get up at 7am. Cassi and I are going walking at her school in the morning. They have a walking club Friday mornings. I was sick last week and couldn't go.

Lots of love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. That 4.0 for the semester is in site. My first A has been recorded, but only took my GPA so far up to 3.58. OK. So I'm a grade hog. Shoot me!

No comments: