Thursday, August 23, 2007

MySpace and Facebook...

This is bad news if you've got one of these sites and you work. I just got an email from a Web site called ITproPortal.com. The following story was posted:

Facebook banned by half of employers
'Get yer nose out of that 'Book... '

By Tim Ferguson
Published: Tuesday 21 August 2007

Half of businesses are restricting employees' access to social networking site Facebook, due to concerns about productivity and security.

According to research by security company Sophos, 43 per cent of workers polled said their employer blocks Facebook access completely.

A further seven percent said access is restricted depending on whether it's required for a particular job.

Cheat Sheets
Web 2.0
Mash-ups

Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos, told silicon.com: "I think it's a growing concern for employers for a number of reasons. The most pressing concern at the moment is one of productivity."

He said: "Some people are spending an inordinate amount of time on non-work related websites."

Cluley added it is difficult to tell when people are using a social networking site when they are at a computer.

The issue of security was also raised by the Sophos research. In a separate poll by the company, 66 per cent of workers said they are concerned about colleagues sharing information on Facebook.

Details such as employment history and mobile numbers have been found on the site and could be used for identity theft or to launch corporate phishing attacks.

Sophos research found 41 per cent of Facebook users are willing to divulge personal information to complete strangers.

Cluley said: "Everyone's just sort of letting it all hang out online without thinking who might be watching."

Facebook told silicon.com it provides users with the ability to hide personal information and "welcomes every opportunity to educate users about how to protect their data online".

Of the 50 per cent of companies that allow access to Facebook, Cluley said some view it as a valuable networking tool while others are nervous about the possibility of an employee backlash to a ban.
__________

So, this is the story. My soapbox moment: All of you who like to blog at work, that might be next.

Anyway, the purpose of this, as you've read, I've got a WONDERFUL step-daughter. Her name will not be changed because she's very guilty. Her name is Nicole. She has a MySpace account. Here is the link:

http://www.myspace.com/samsbabygurl620

"Fuck What U Heard Recognize What U C Bitch" (sorry, that's what it says on her site)

Can you see why I call her what I do? She plays so innocent with Rob (see the following story to realize why she's not: here).

And, I messaged Rob, asking him if I should send a message to her Tuesday night. "Sure, why not? Let me know what you talk about." I asked him because she's told him she's afraid of me. Well, after that day in July, she better be. I was in an accident because I was where I shouldn't have been to get her.

No problem. I send her one message, "Hello, Nicole. How are you?"

No response. I tell him this later in the evening that there was no response. But, low and behold, the minute he messages her, she responds. She tells him she never got the message. Now, with technology the way it is these days (very good), there's no way she didn't get the message. I know she's lying through her teeth. He agrees. She tells him that I should send another message Wednesday (yesterday).

Huh? You know I've sent you a message. It's your turn to respond.

Today, first off, knowing that Rob is working, decides to send him a message at 12:30pm. He worked last night and is working tonight and tomorrow night. Tonight and tomorrow are 12 hour shifts.

This means, he's in bed sleeping. What does she say to him?

"Well, she didn't text me." And he told me. Um. We were a little busy yesterday. He stayed up until 12:30 because we ran out for an errand together before he went to bed. Then, I worked on PTO bills and taxes, then my business, getting things ready for my first craft show. Then, we had company over and Rob went back to bed while company stayed (Dan and Alexis).

I WAS A LITTLE BUSY! She knew I tried to contact her. CALL ME!

I think she's full of SHIT, saying she's afraid of me. It's all just a big game. And her MySpace account proves it. She thinks she's all high and mighty.

Yes, Marie, I'm in a VERY difficult situation. But, it appears Rob is on my side, making him have a difficult position. I think he trusts how I am dealing with her. And believe me, if she lived here, she wouldn't have the freedoms she's got. Nor would I allow her to have things like a cell phone. She would wish she was living somewhere else.

Ok. That's it for my soapbox this evening. Hmm. I'm starting to feel better already. This outpour has been good for my soul.

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ )

8 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

I don't have anything nice to say about this girl. I was done being understanding months ago about her "delicate" situation. NOw she is just being a brat. And if I ever meet I will be sure to tell her so. :)

Lynda said...

I do use Facebook and blog at work, but I make sure the job is done first. :) I will probably keep doing it until they tell me to stop. Or fire me. LOL

Of course, my work environment has always been a bit unique.

Lynda said...

Oh, and the kid...it's quite obvious she wasn't raised with manners. It seems like she is trying to play Rob like a fiddle.

Unknown said...

Well she needs to be put in her place by her mom and step-dad because if they don't she will end up making her life a REAL BIG MESS! I just hope Rob stays smart and let's her deal with her own mess on her own! And more importantly, I don't want her ANYWHERE near Cassi!!!!

Cathy said...

Her life is already a mess. I won't say more. Your mind can wander.

Unknown said...

Let me guess.... Rob is going to be a grandpa?

Cathy said...

Close, but no grandpa yet. But, you guessed right.

Unknown said...

Gotcha! Yea, I'll say this again, I don't want her ANYWHERE near Cassi!