Sunday, March 05, 2006

Rob and I, continued....

So, Rob answered my add just after Valentine's Day. He stated to me that he didn't live half way across the world and wanted to get to know me. I replied directly to his email address through my work address. At the time, my email was cathy.valliere at ey.com. From this email, he was able to look me up through the internet and call my apartment. I was shocked and excited as well. Who was this guy who was so worried about me because of my email address and called? He said he was concerned because Ernst & Young (who I worked for at the time) used our full first and last names in our email address. I never saw any problem.

Anyway, we spent the first week getting to know each other through email and the phone. Also, that same week, instead of working in our downtown Cleveland offices, I was working at our training facility in Middleburg Heights. Within a few days, he calls me and tells me that he sent a surprise to me at work! Well, I was so excited, but also sad. I had never gotten anything at work, but all the other girls there did! So, he had to get off the phone and re-route my package to my apartment. When I got home, at my front door was a half dozen red roses. I was so excited to see them! My neighbor was so jealous. She brought in the roses because they had been left outside at the side door.

That next weekend, we had our first date. He took me to Lone Star Steakhouse and to see The Empire Strikes Back! Yes, folks. I am a Star Wars buff. When he came to pick me up, the first thing I did was give him a hug. I love to hug people, so this is what I would have done. He was so shocked. The next day, I had a tremendous amount of laundry to do. So, I told him to come over. I would cook him dinner, and we would have date 2 at my house. Since my parents lived across the street, my laundry went there where I could wash it for free! (such luck!) We went up stairs, and Rob met my parents. On date 2, we discussed the idea of getting married. I figured, "What the heck!" I felt like it. It sounded like a good idea!

That next Wednesday, Rob came over and spent the night. In the parking lot of my apartment building, there was only room for three cars. So, my car (oh yeah! A month after I dropped Jason, I went out and bought my own first car! A saturn!) went across the street to my grandfather's parking lot. You see, my parents live in the same building with my grandfather, his business on the first floor and two apartments on the second. The next day, I went to retrieve my car. I went upstairs to say hello to mom and dad.

Dad says to me, "I see you had company last night!"

Was I embarrassed as heck or what!? I replied yep. Not much to say here!

Dad says to me again, "Where did you meet him?" Where I replied on the Internet. He says, "Oh, you have to watch those guys on the Internet. Remember, if you look in the trunk of his car and find a bowl and some flakes, RUN LIKE HELL! He's a Cereal Killer!"

Oh, my god! My dad just busted on Rob! Okay, here's the deal. If my dad likes you, he picks on you. In the four years I dated Jason, he didn't once pick on Jason. So, I just knew that my dad approved of Rob. Believe me, Rob and my dad are completely the SAME!

After that, I started staying at Rob's apartment and commuting into town to work. Rob lived in Elyria, about a half hour from my apartment.

We got married on March 14, 1997! We're coming up to our ninth wedding anniversary. It has been good times and bad ever since. Mom and dad treat Rob like their missing son! Go figure!

When my parents found out we were getting married, they were cool with it. Rob's parents wanted to disown him. With or without their approval, we got married. It was a civil ceremony, in front of a judge. The whole thing took five minutes. My mom came to the ceremony; then we went to Outback Steakhouse for dinner! Rob's mom was very jealous because at first my mom wasn't going to be there because of a dentist appointment. At the last minute, she rescheduled the appointment and went. Well, we didn't call his mom to tell her of my mom's change of plans, which further pissed her off.

Oh, well!

The week after we got married, I had to take my first-ever major business trip. I had to go to Phoenix for 10 days. While I was away, Rob and my dad moved all my JUNK from my apartment to his. What a site when I got back, jet-lagged and exhausted! Just about ALL my stuff was in a separate storage room, where I had to make heads or tails of the stuff. My stove, tv, and bed all went to my mom. The two dressers I had went to an antique dealer.

Remember all those emails Rob sent me? Well, I still have them to this day! For those of you who don't know, we are a family of 3. It's Rob, me, and our daughter, Cassi. Plus, the adopted cat, Charlie. That's all we need.

All my life, growing up, I admantly denied that I would ever have a family. I didn't want to get married, just have a career. Of course, I didn't want kids. But, Cassi is a hoot! She can be a real PITA (pain in the a**). But, she can also be so much fun. You can see all the wonder that is going on in her brain.

Okay, enough of that for now, I have to get back to my English paper. I've got the final due tomorrow. I had to analyze a poem. Of course, I do things at the last minute, but it's done so well.

Love to all,
Cathy 8^ )

No comments: