Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Granola Recipe Share...

OK. Working on some granola for myself right now. This is an AWESOME recipe I found from Alton Brown (FoodNetwork.com). I've already made 2 batches for Rob. Just can't believe how EXPENSIVE granola cereal is at the grocery store. The cheapest found so far has been $3 a box.

So, here's the recipe. Then, some notes about changes I've made (or are making as I type).

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cashews
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
  1. In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both
  3. mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes,
  4. stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
  5. Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until
  6. evenly distributed.
OK. So my notes. Have not used the cashews or coconut at all. Rob likes it without. When I make his, the rest of the ingredients stand. Today, as I'm trying mine, I make it his way, but added 1 cup sunflower seeds (yes, without the hard covers). Once it's done cooking, I'll add 1 cup Craisins to the 1 cup raisins.

I also think other dried fruits would work nicely in this. I eat it not as a cereal, but as a snack in a cup.

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

jellybean said...

granola is GREAT in yogurt!
i love homemade granola!
and you can put pretty much anything in it you want!