Monday, January 30, 2006

My new children, part 2...

We had gotten a call from the owners on Jan. 3. The owners' names are Dave and Pat Manning. Well, Pat called me. She was so upset about the whole tragedy. She had the puppies in her house because the barn was completely destroyed. There was one in the local vet hospital that was fighting for its life, later called Rocky. Well, Rocky didn't make it, most likely due to smoke inhalation. Plus, out of the six puppies and mom, one of the puppies and mom were missing. Since we wanted two puppies, one boy and one girl, it had appeared that God saved one boy and one girl. For us! I told Pat that I would have to talk with Rob, but we should be able to come get them that Thursday, which was one whole week earlier than planned.

After talking with Rob, we ended up getting the puppies the next day. That Thursday, we were able to squeeze into our vet's office for him to see the puppies. By that time, we also gave them their names. We decided to call them Bonnie and Clyde. They are DEFINITELY their name sakes. Bonnie was just fine, just a little scorched hair, but no burn spots. It appears that she might have been the first puppy out of the fire. Clyde did have some pretty good burn spots on him. The vet had to shave most of his left side, where there was skin that fell off. But, after 2 weeks, most of the open sore are was healed. The last time we went to the vet, he was astonished at how well Clyde was healing. We were also afraid that he was going to lose his tail because of the extent of burn marks on his tail. But, short of a miracle, he is not going to lose his tail. Plus, the vet figured the shape he is now would not have happened for a few months, not a few weeks.

So, right now, we are training them for sleeping in a cage. But, because of the size of the puppies, which have now grown 50% in 3 weeks, we are going to have to look at getting a second cage, one for each. When we first took the puppies, they were 10.6 pounds. They are now over 16 pounds and growing. Plus, we are continuing to work on their potty habits. Because they ARE NOT to potty in the house. It's been tougher for Bonnie than Clyde because she gets excited when company comes over (oops! she tinkled!). We are training them to bark at us and go to the front door to alert us that they need to go out.

They are almost there. We've been pretty lenient on them right now with the leash thing. They have been pretty obedient not to run out of the yard when they go potty. Because it is winter right now, we're not letting them stay out for an extended period of time. This will all change once the weather stays nice. We're looking at the possibility of Invisible Fence to put up fencing to allow the dogs AND cat to be able to go outside without having to be on a leash or even hard, metal fencing. Will leave a note if and when it happens.

Okay. I've got to finish this up for now. I've got photos of the puppies from then until now. As my sister eluded in one of her comments, "I'm so suburban." Okay, Marie. Before the puppies get up from their nap again, I need to start a load of laundry washing, hang-up laundry on hangars, and fold what's on my bed. Plus, I've got homework in all 3 of my classes for Wednesday. I've got to get that done tonight and tomorrow.

Plus, I've got to order a CD for my home business, along with designing new tea bag envelope templates for sale for St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Patriotic, Education, Birthday, etc. because I have a few craft shows coming up that I'm trying to sell my products and design business.

You can find our home business at: www.naturallyhealthyhome.com
My design business can be found at: www.cathyhennes.com

You can email me at: crhennes@alltel.net

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well you are so suburban, but at least you are getting good at it! I'm glad the puppies are doing well and I can't wait to see them in person!