Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Are these job openings for real...

Or are these HR Departments just padding their resume files?

It sure seems to me that they are padding their resume files. I would have to say that I have been applying for jobs at least 5 a week since I graduated from school. Of the number of companies who have contacted me regarding openings for which I can count them on my two hands, it seems ALL of these positions that appear to be open are BOGUS!

How can there be THAT many openings when EVERY day, another company announces layoffs?

Just heard today that GM will layoff 14,000 salaried employees by May. Last week, heard that National City Bank (now part of PNC) will layoff 5,800 employees (but that's across the entire company of PNC, not just National City.

So, how can companies be attending job fairs and accepting resumes when they just don't SEEM to be hiring. FYI...Cleveland State University, here in the Cleveland area, is holding a Job Fair on February 27, with an estimated 100+ companies showing up.

On top of that, the majority of companies don't even WANT to talk to you. This goes for job fairs. They don't want to accept your resume in paper. They talk to you, tell you what they are looking for, then when you TRY to give them your resume, they tell you, "No. Sorry, we can't accept paper resumes here. Go to our Web site and apply there."

Huh? Isn't it the point of coming to a job fair to ACCEPT paper resumes, that the goal is to HIRE the people you meet?

No wonder why everyone is frustrated. Look at the IDIOTS who are in charge of the Human Resources and Recruiting functions of companies. They DON'T want to talk to you. Heaven forbid!

I just did a search on www.indeed.com. This Web site will allow you to search multiple job search engine sites, like Monster.com, Dice.com, etc. You enter in a search term and a zip code for a simple search. I've never done the advanced search, but I do know you can search a mileage radius from the zip code you've picked. Every now and then, I will look up EVERYTHING within my zip code (and 25 mile radius). This evening, the results returned over 5,000 jobs. Yes, you heard me FIVE THOUSAND!

Yes, I understand that the majority of those jobs are not in my field, which is actually a LARGE field based on what I've done in the past, along with the education I just received, but COME ONE! Five thousand openings! You've GOT to be joking!

And I'm still working a part-time job because no one wants to hire someone with a Bachelor's Degree and over 15 years employment experience. OK, so my employment happened before my education. But, I've got it!

Someone HIRE ME!

That's it. I'm off the soapbox now.

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ )

No comments: